Search Our Stories:

Sunday, March 3, 2013

On Parley Street

Three months ago, I had never heard of Young Performing Missionaries.  I didn’t know that there was a performing mission centered in Nauvoo in which young adults participate every summer.  To me, Nauvoo was an incredible spiritual place that stands as a powerful testimony of the sacrifice of those that gave quite literally everything they had to further the Lord’s Kingdom on the earth in the last days.  The thought had never crossed my mind that I would ever do more than just visit the City Beautiful.  However, the Lord has long been preparing me for this journey he knew I would undertake, and I already have a deep and abiding love for the city.

I will never forget that day.  On Wednesday October 21, 2009, I slowly paced down the length of Parley Street, Nauvoo. With me were my father, mother and little sister.  We were nearing the end of a week my parents had long planned and looked forward to. They had wanted me to experience the spirit that is so abundant in Nauvoo before I set out to preach the gospel in whatever part of the world to which I would be called to serve my mission.  Just a week before we left home, I had sent in my mission papers.  The days we spent visiting the church history sites were very touching for me, as I was able to witness so many places in which so many sacrifices were made for the gospel’s sake.  I remember walking along the street, reading the plaques depicting those that had unshakeable testimonies of the true church of Jesus Christ and of the prophet Joseph Smith.  It was at that moment that my phone rang.  Answering it, I was greeted by the happy, yet emotional voice of my older brother.  “Remember today, David,” he counseled me.  He then told me of a letter he currently held in his hand.  A letter signed by a prophet of God.  A letter addressed to me.  The most calming and peaceful feeling I had ever experienced until that time washed over me; the Lord had called me to serve him, and I was only days away from finding out where.  That feeling and that day have since been burned into my memory, and I can’t wait to stand on Parley Street again.

I was called to serve in Brazil.  For two years I devoted myself to my Father’s service, teaching his people.  For two years I was taught what it truly means to love unconditionally, and to have charity for someone that I barely knew.  For two years I witnessed the joy that the gospel brings into the lives of those that have wandered for so long in darkness.  For two years I testified of the veracity of the Book of Mormon, and that there is a living prophet on the earth today, who guides the one and only true church of Jesus Christ.  For two years I learned lessons that I would carry with me for much, much longer than two years.  My mission meant everything to me, and I will never forget how special it was to be a servant of the Lord Jesus Christ, and to bear his name on my chest.

I returned from my mission in February of 2012.  I had the next few years of my life all planned out in finite details.  But sometimes the Lord plans things a little bit differently for us than the way we see them for ourselves; and the influence of a friend that is living the way they should can and does make all the difference in the world.

I sing in a choir at the institute on the campus of Utah State University.  Every day, the music we sing has a perfect ability to bring the spirit sufficiently to flood my heart and make my days better.  One day before class, a friend and fellow choir member asked me if I wanted to audition for something that he was helping another student with that he thought I might be interested in.  I said no thank you, I didn’t want to.  Several more times he asked me, to all of which I responded that I wasn’t interested.  Over the course of the entire rehearsal period he told me that I needed to make an audition tape, and that he would help (make) me do it.  At the end of an hour of denying, I finally conceded.  He filmed as I completed the necessary steps to make an appropriate video.  After the video was complete and he explained how to send it in, I asked the simple question of what it was that I was auditioning for.  My friend’s jaw dropped slightly as he realized that he had neglected to tell me exactly what it was that he wanted me to participate in.  He quickly told me that I would be performing during the summer in Nauvoo.  He told me that I would have the opportunity to be a missionary again, if selected.

In that moment, all of the love, peace, and happiness that I had experienced as a missionary in Brazil flooded into my heart.  I recalled in that instant the day I had been standing on Parley Street over three years prior, and the elation that the simple knowledge of having a mission call had brought.  The Spirit whispered peace to my heart, and as my eyes brimmed with tears of joyful remembrance I knew that my plans didn’t matter, and that I was to set my sights on Nauvoo.

I look forward to serving my Master again as a full-time missionary.  I relish the thought of praising his name through music in such a special place as Nauvoo.  I am thrilled to stand again in the very spot that I first felt like a missionary on a crisp day in October, long ago.

I can’t wait to feel the Spirit that I know will accompany me as I walk Parley Street once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment