Search Our Stories:

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Miracles Again

As we were turning northbound onto Mulholland Street from Highway 96 in Nauvoo, I caught my first glimpse of the temple. I felt chills run all over my body. I was so full of joy that I didn’t even know how on earth I could contain my happiness. In the summer of 2012, I spent my time there serving as a Young Performing Missionary with the temple as our backdrop. That was one of the best summers of my life. I often reflect on the joy and light that I felt while I was serving then. My Journey started way before that though. In February of 2010 I received an invitation from President Monson, to serve as a full-time missionary in the Yerevan Armenia Mission. In my call packet, it said that I was to report to the Missionary Training Center on June 23rd.  About a month after I got my call in late February, I got a phone call from Church Headquarters and they presented me with the option to come into the MTC 3 months early. They said my report date, if I chose so, would be March 31. ... ... ...  Done and done. I knew that it was my obligation to serve as soon as I could. So, I dropped all other things that I was occupied with and got ready to go. I unfortunately had to quit two theatrical productions that I was involved in to do so, but I knew that the Lord had bigger things in mind; even if those things didn’t come into my knowledge until nearly a year and a half later.

As my mission in Armenia was coming to a close, I was transferred to a companion who had been a Young Performing Missionary in the summer of 2010. He did this before he came to serve in Armenia. He told me all about it and how much I would love it. So, while I was a full-time missionary, I turned in my application to be a YPM for the summer of 2012. Miraculously, I was accepted and planned to go on May 4th after returning from Armenia in April. After I was accepted, I realized that this opportunity would not have been possible if I would not have accepted the invitation to go to Armenia early way back in 2010 - in March instead of June! A wave of gratitude passed over me as realization hit me, and I knew I was doing what the Lord wanted me to do. Sometimes the Lord’s plans take a couple years to accomplish, but they are what are best for us.

After returning from Nauvoo last summer, I immediately missed it as I returned back to Utah - for those of us who have been to Nauvoo, this sacred city REALLY becomes our true home. I wanted to go back and serve again, but I knew that it was far out there and kind of out of the question. Eventually, fall came around and I was in the temple one day. As I sat praying about decisions that needed to be made about my life, I was prompted to just flip open the scriptures and start reading. I thumbed across a scripture in the Old Testament that said, "And ye shall praise him with song and with dance." Tears just about came to my eyes as I basked in the mercy of God. I was so grateful for that revelation, but whether to audition was still a rather difficult decision. I didn't want to take the opportunity away from someone who had not yet been. I decided to just put it in the hands of the Lord. As I had learned previously, if I was supposed to be there, I would be. I pressed forward and sent in an application and went to the callback auditions. On January the 5th, when Elder Camp called me to let me know that I had been called to be a YPM again, I knew that it was no mere happenstance. Heavenly Father has a plan for me in Nauvoo this upcoming summer and I know that it all has a purpose. I am so grateful that already I have been an instrument in the hands of the Lord in encouraging others who I know to audition/apply to come to Nauvoo as well. It truly has made me realize how much Heavenly Father and our Savior Jesus Christ love each and every single one of his children! This summer will be full of wonderful experiences. Trials will obviously present themselves (as they always do), but with the help of the Spirit, we will take courage and conquer all that comes in our path. Miracles happen in Nauvoo; those of healing and those of extraordinary wonder. I look forward to the summer of 2013 with utmost excitement and know that all who have been called to go, will be there for a reason. "There shall he be in the midst of them who love him."

No comments:

Post a Comment