Search Our Stories:

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Mission Prep

What motivated me... well first off Devin Davis.  He's the one that initially got me to look into it by inviting me to meet with the Camps.  Up until that point I had heard about it and thought it sounded interesting but wasn't something I was going to do because I was getting ready for my full-time mission, but... when I met with the Camps, Elder Camp said something that really made me think.  He said, "If you haven't served a mission come to Nauvoo first.  It’s really the best mission prep you will ever get."  All of the sudden the prospect of Nauvoo became extremely appealing and I decided that I would at least audition.


I began putting together my materials for my audition DVD but as the due date approached I was nowhere near ready, and Devin became my saving grace again as he helped me put together a few pieces of my DVD.  I then went home to finish the rest and got really frustrated with myself not being able to get it how I wanted it and finally I just dropped down and asked Heavenly Father what He wanted me to do because I couldn’t do it on my own.  I sat down and just pondered for a while on who I was and who I wanted to be and how Nauvoo would tie in to that vision.  I realized something about myself is that I love to be able to serve, always.  Nauvoo was going to be four months straight of service to the Lord in a capacity that I love as well.  As I came to that conclusion the Holy Ghost filled me with peace and assurance that at least finishing my application, with no other expectations was the right thing to do.  I knew that if I just kept pressing forward in faith, step by step, that whatever happened would be the what the Lord willed.  I let go of my fears and feelings of inadequacy and offered my time and talents to the Lord to use if He willed and the feeling of peace and assurance never left throughout the auditions and call backs.

Later I learned that Devin very easily could have not been to Nauvoo last Summer.  But, because he followed the spirit he was able to go and have a life changing experience so profound he wanted everyone he could talk to to at least make an attempt at it and apply.  Without his motivation I know I wouldn't be going to Nauvoo this summer and am so grateful for him being an instrument in the hands of God to change my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment