Search Our Stories:

Sunday, March 3, 2013

My Life On Hold

When I was sixteen, my brother had just left on his mission. He was my best friend, and the best example. I was lonely, and depressed, and I was just plain ANGRY at the Church. I hated this group that stole my brother away from me. A few months after he left, my parents took me to Nauvoo. I remember LOVING the cute shows the YPMs put on (because I love musicals, as do we all!), and when they sang "Invocation" in the visitor center, I remember a distinct feeling of peace. I knew that the Church was true, and it was ok that my brother was gone for a little while.

They YPMs were all on the balcony, and I made eye contact with one girl, who was gorgeous. She kept looking at me, and smiling at me. Then I saw them again at the sunset on the Mississippi show, and she found me after the show, and gave me a big hug. She said she felt like we knew each other. She told me that I should definitely audition to be a YPM when I was old enough.

Then I forgot about it all. I started having all these huge projects in the summer, study abroads, internships etc., and THIS summer, I was planning on starting my own theater company with a friend of mine back home. We had petitioned for the rights to a show, we had most of the cast, and were just waiting to hear back from investors and the venue.

Sometime around November, I got a facebook invite to a Nauvoo performing mission information session. It was on campus, and it was on a Sunday night, and I remembered how much I had wanted once, those very many years ago, to be a performing missionary. The meeting was lovely, the Camps seemed fantastic, and I knew a couple of the last years' YPMs through choir. But the moment that got me, was when all the YPMs from previous years got on the stage and sang Invocation.

I felt a flood of joy and peace, and remembered that moment, 5 years ago, when I fell in love with Nauvoo because of the spirit there.

I auditioned. I never thought in a million years that I'd get a call-back!

I couldn't SLEEP the night I got the email about call-backs. (I jumped up and down for 15 minutes to try and get out some of that energy).

After auditions, I normally feel very anxious, and I second-guess everything. But that next day, after call-backs, I just felt like I was going to go. I was nervous, of course, as were we all I'm sure. I checked my phone at least 60 times during church for any missed calls or email notifications--I drove my roommates crazy. But I just really felt like I was going to go. When I found out, I called my theatre partner, and told him we couldn't produce the show this summer. And I called my stage manager for a show I was going to be in that opens in May. I found Amber on facebook too, and she said that my going to Nauvoo was an answer to a recent prayer of hers.

It all just felt right. And it was wonderful.  I couldn't be more thrilled for the opportunity to serve the Lord in this capacity!

No comments:

Post a Comment