Search Our Stories:

Sunday, June 30, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

I feel somewhat left out that I didn't receive any emails this week, but it makes sense because my family is here with me. And how blessed that is! But because I have the time, I will tell you all that has happened in the past while. Our dear Sister Allen is being sent home. After many prayers and blessings and discussions, our directors and the mission president feel that it is best for Sister Allen to receive the medical attention she needs, at home. I've gotten to know Sister Allen quite well- we share a room and is my counterpart in all the shows. I don't think the reality of her leaving has settled in yet, which terrifies me because some of us (myself included) were a total mess when she announced it just 2 hours ago. We had a moment of hugging and crying and then we all gathered on the stage in a circle and sang 'Invocation'. Sister Allen had one request- that we sing 'You Are My Sunshine'. We have a fun rendition we sing in Nauvoo Singers, and it is kind of a running joke because at least our cast sings it at least 5 times every day. It's our go-to song. How beautiful it was to sing to each other the words that now carry so much meaning for our group:

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear, how much I love you,
Please don't take my sunshine away

You're my ever-lovin' sunshine, you're the one for me!
You make me happy oh so happy when skies are gray and by the way
You'll never know how much I love you, how much I love you everyday,
please don't take my sunshine away

Sister Allen requested that we have a testimony meeting. It was wonderful to hear the beautiful and strong testimonies of everyone in this group. We are so strong in the faith. We know that Heavenly Father lives and loves us. I know that faith brings us peace and comfort. I know that as we have faith in the Lords timing and plan for us, we will be able to do whatever he asks of us, even when we are weak. I know that we are here for a purpose, and I am so grateful Sister Allen was to be with us for a short time. We have learned so much from her. Most importantly, how to be selfless.
As our group loses a beloved friend, our sunshine, and our source of laughter, we face an unknown future. The schedule is only about to become harder with pageant here. New parts are to be learned, and dances are to be re-choreographed. But if there's one thing I've learned about this special group of YPMs is that we have the ability to accept change wholeheartedly. A moment is never spent complaining about our circumstances, whatever they may be. When we unite ourselves with each other and with the Lord, we are steadfast, immovable, and fine tuned instruments in the Lords hands. I am not afraid, because this is the Lords work. And He is in charge. And His timing and plan for us is perfect.

We'll find the place, which God for us prepared
far away, in the West.
Where none shall come, to hurt or make afraid,
there the Saints will be blessed.
But if our lives are spared again, 
to see the Saints, our rest obtain,
oh how we'll make this chorus swell,
All is well! All is well!

No comments:

Post a Comment