Search Our Stories:

Sunday, June 30, 2013

I'm Here!

Hi. Or should I say G'day.
Haha that was really lame.

My name is Elder Striplin and I'm from Brisbane, Australia. I haven't found the time to write on this blog yet but I'm so happy and glad to be able to write now.

I guess I'll write about how I got here to Nauvoo, serving as a Young Performing Missionary. Last year I finished a production of the musical HAIRPSRAY in early July. After this production the director offered me to play a role in the musical ALL SHOOK UP in November of 2013. I accepted. Shortly after our Prophet announced that young men may now serve a mission from the age of 18. Having just turned 18 and already signed a contract for this show I felt tied down and not knowing what I was going to do. My mum (it's spelt with a U in Australia) heard about the unique calling of a Young Performing Missionary and it sparked my interest. So I made an audition video and filled out the application and sent it off. As soon as I sent it there was no doubt in my heart that is where I wanted to be for the summer (well winter). It was the perfect opportunuity to serve my Heavenly Father until I was available to put my papers in for my proselyting mission.

After emails, skype calls and an absolutely wonderful trip to Utah I was extended the call to serve as a Young Performing Missionary in Nauvoo, Illinois. I've never been more excited/nervous for an experience to happen in my life. But needless to say I have absolutely LOVED every second of my time here in Nauvoo. I've grown tremendously in spirit and in knowledge. I've never felt as close to the Lord as I do now since I've been here. I know that I am here for a reason and there is no other place in the world I would rather be than serving here in Nauvoo. I love Nauvoo, it's now my home away from home.


I'm so grateful for Nauvoo and the beautiful spirit it contains. I can testify that this sacred city can change people. It has changed me and I love it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment