Search Our Stories:

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Come, Come Ye Saints

I must tell you about the day before our final dress rehearsals.

We began the day by going through High Hopes and River Boats.  Before we do the show, we usually line up on the balcony and sing "Invocation."  We almost didn't because we were running late  and we were only rehearsing.  I had gotten ready faster than most, and I had the strong but unnecessary urge to walk out into the main lobby of the Visitor's Center.  I walked out there, and I saw a family with a bunch of kids running around that immediately caught my eye.  I walked past them, three times, intrigued but trying to remain inconspicuous (which is very difficult in formal pioneer garb).  I ran back in to beg Elder Camp that we go out to sing on the balcony, because I felt that it would really bless them, and as I entered, all the missionaries were lining up to go out and do just that!  For some reason, he had changed his mind!

We sang.  The family I had seen before seemed especially surprised and touched.  They were so touched, in fact, that they managed to get themselves into the theater to watch our dress rehearsal. In the cast we were doing, I don't have any lines...I prayed for my fellow missionaries and for that family the whole time.

Turns out, because they saw us there, they also found out about our "Just Plain Anna-Amanda" rehearsal that would be happening in a couple of hours.  They showed up!  Afterward, we met them outside.  They were visiting from Arizona, learning about some of their ancestors from Nauvoo, and we told them the little we know so far about the city.  They said they were hoping to see Parley Street sometime before they headed out.  Just so happens, we were having our first and only rehearsal on-site for the Trail of Hope that very evening!  We told them they should come.

Many hours of rehearsal later, we got into the van to head to Parley Street...and it was starting to rain!  Worried that the rain would interfere with that family coming to the Trail of Hope, we said a prayer to Heavenly Father as we were in the vehicle that the rain would stop.  It stopped immediately.  I admit, I wasn't as in tune with the Spirit as I should have been (or maybe I was?  I'm still not sure), because during and after the prayer, I didn't feel like that would change anything, as for some reason, I didn't feel like that family was going to show up.

But then, one of the elders, a mind-blowingly spiritually mature and faith-filled man, turned to me in the noise of everyone's excitement in the sudden weather change, and said, "You know your role!  Pray!"  Humbled by his faith and my inadequacy, I began to pray fervently in my seat to know the will of the Lord concerning His angels.  I had the impression that the family was questioning whether to come.  I pleaded that Heavenly Father would send His heavenly Nauvoo missionaries to physically push them out their front door, that they would head to Parley Street.  It was confirmed to me that this was right.

Feeding off of the immense increase of faith among twelve elders who just watched rain miraculously stop, I continued my supplication, asking that angels would whisper to whomever would say the prayer for our group, that they might be inspired to utter the words necessary to invite the pioneers to attend us on the Trail of Hope.  I prayed that each of the Saints we portray would attend the stations as we spoke.

We arrived.  As we all fell out of the van, Elder Camp told us all to go home and practice our lines.  We were cancelling rehearsal because of the rain.  The elders were disappointed and worried...but I had asked for heavenly messengers to do specific things, by the Spirit, so I was more excited than anything to see how this would pan out.  As we were all turning around to go home, the sisters burst out of their van and asked if we could all pray together before we went home.  Before praying, the elders sang "Old, Old Path," which will be the custom on the Trail of Hope once we begin.  Elder Camp asked Sister McAllister to pray.  As she prayed, she paused, and asked that we could be aware of the angels surrounding us, and that we could bear testimony with them as the time came.  My heart leaped at this new answer to prayer...a foreshadowing of impending miracles.

Right at the end of the prayer, a man showed up that Elder Leavitt had invited.  This caused Elder Camp to let us all go down the Trail of Hope and watch each other do our vignettes.  Just as I had finished mine, the family drove up at the beginning of the trail.  We all anxiously remained in our places...everything had fallen together perfectly.

I sat on the fence, preparing for them to approach me.  I bowed my head in prayer once more, this time in gratitude.  Filled with the Spirit, I asked that each Saint would be able to speak through each of the missionaries, and that they and all other angels there would walk the trail with us.  I know that this is not a request for every night, but for this night, it was.

No surprise, I was stunned to silence and quiet tears as I watched each of the Saints stand in testimony with each missionary.  Heavenly Father allowed me to see the invisible reality of what was happening there that night.  When we reached Elder Thunell and Sister Shaffer, I fell apart.  The angels were speaking through their mouths.  At the end of each vignette, those that have passed on joined us as we moved to the next.  I was weeping with gratitude by the time we got to the Narrator.  For some reason, I always expect with surety that what I pray for will happen, but I am always surprised by the beauty of the harmony in which it occurs.

Elder Leavitt's station was the most incredible of them all.  He was the Narrator at the end of the Trail.  I wish I owned the words to describe the experience.  Hundreds of Saints stood behind him, filling the immense field he spoke in front of.  Singing, in testimony with his own.  It was more than I could bear.  It took every ounce of energy I had to keep from falling to my knees like a dramatic fool.

I know that God knows how to bump two groups together for the edification of one another, like the YPMs and that sweet family in Nauvoo.  I know that we are attended, aided, supported, reminded, encouraged, and loved by angels far more than any of us are aware.

I had a very strong impression, heading home and regaining my composure, that tonight I should pray for something very bold indeed.  This group of YPMs is very different from the others, in a way that I believe God has been setting up for a long, long time.  I feel that our Heavenly Father desires that each of the young performing missionaries in Nauvoo this summer have their eyes open, even just for a moment, and see the spirits of those that walk the streets of this City Beautiful.  That is going to take an awful lot of faith...but I know it is possible.

We do not need to see such things to believe...in fact, we are condemned if we feel that way.  But sometimes, Heavenly Father allows us to see things anyway.  Not because it is necessary, but because He loves us, and because we have lived in such a way to be ready for such an experience.

I cannot wait to see what this summer holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment