Search Our Stories:

Monday, July 22, 2013

Sometmes We Laugh

I am always so amused by the way the culture of a group changes over time...especially when they spend as much time together as our group does.  Just in case you will be interacting with any of us after this mission, you may want to know the explanation behind some of the things that have just become common among the stage/tech YPMs:

- When we are about to do something epic and need good motivation, we shout "For Alex!!!"  (...None of us actually met Alex, but he is one of Sister Klingler's friends.)
- When we have done something really stupid or crazy, we may turn to you with wild eyes and ask "Am I NUTS?"  (Sister Allen got us all started on that one...she's pretty nuts.)
- Phragming is one of the most insulting things you can do to a person (but we do it all the time to each other).  'Phragm' is short for diaphragm.  It means to hit someone with your diaphragm.  Believe me, after all the singing we've done, my phragm packs a pretty powerful punch.  (Really no back-story to that except that Elder Striplin and I are dorks.)
- There is a general slew of phrases that any of us will say on a moment's notice that is a line from a show...when we hear the cue line, we just feel empty if we don't say what's next!
- When you go for a high five, you may suddenly find yourself in a handshake.  (Because high-fives are WAY too familiar.)
- You will always find a counterargument if you say that something is the worst.  It is not the worst, because animal crackers are the worst.  End of discussion.  (The sisters just won't let Elder Striplin live his accent down.)
- If you try to get us to do something we don't want to do, we will give a high-pitched squealing "Make me!!"  (Modeled after the rebellious Sister Jorgensen.)
- Whenever it's time to go, we will yell "Time to go, time to go, woo-woo-woo-woo, time to go, time to go!" (I started doing that so everyone would hear me, and it just caught on.)
- If you tell a cheesy joke, we will bring our hand up like a sock puppet, and have it give you a roaring pity laugh.  (Every day we do a puppet show where the puppets tell ridiculously corny jokes.)
- If you make a reference to any kind of bag, satchel, purse, etc., we'll probably give you a really deep-voiced "they're bags!"  (A line from the show, modeled after Elder Black.)
- Whenever we or someone near us is confused, we will probably ask, "Am I here?"  (Once upon a time, Elder Collier forgot his words during a solo love song...and replaced about ten words with a long "Am I here?"  Probably the single-most funny thing that has happened on stage to date.)
- When we are very proud of ourselves, we put our hands in our armpits and smile.  (A Sister Elbert mannerism.)
- When we are appalled, we will shout out "Well I neverrrrr!"  (A line from a show, modeled after Sister Elbert.)
- When we want to sound refined, we talk like the pharaoh from Night at the Museum 2.

....Now I need to say something inspiring before I end.... I know that when we all work together in harmony we will all start become the same ridiculous person?  ...Eh, maybe not.  But I do know that where the Spirit is, there will laughter be also.  I believe that God is a God of laughter; beautiful, wondrous, joyous, wholesome laughter.  I am grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment