Search Our Stories:

Sunday, June 16, 2013

It's All Worth It

Today we had the privilege of a personal tour of the Mansion House and Red Brick store by Lachlan Mackay (the head of the Community of Christ Historical Sites) ...his knowledge of Nauvoo and the prophet Joseph were remarkable.  As a group of missionaries, we sang our two signature songs "Nauvoo" and "Invocation" in the top of the Red Brick store where the Prophet administered the first endowments and formed the Relief Society.  While the building was not the original building, I believe the Lord still finds it to be hallowed space.  Truly a tremendous experience.

We notice certain families that will follow us throughout our six daily shows.  One such family was the Knudson Family.  After the show, I started talking with the Mom...after hearing of their exhausting but entertaining week long RV ride across the US, I felt prompted to ask her what the greatest thing she has taken away while here in Nauvoo is.  She looked up at me, went silent and let out a big sigh.  She said something to the effect of, "I am so grateful I brought my kids with me. We have been so blessed that they have seen your examples.  We don't really know what our son is thinking when it comes to a mission and for him to see this side of the missionary work has been a blessing."  I was put back by her comment---we've been working so hard to make these shows and vignettes have meaning and to hear that they have had that kind of impact--makes it all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment