Search Our Stories:

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Little Things


Though we have only been in Nauvoo for one week, I would testify that we as missionaries have spent much more time here.  I know that, as we have pleaded for this blessing, the Lord has lengthened our days that we might accomplish all the work that He has laid before us.

Nauvoo is incredible.  Being a missionary is incredible.  I am singing notes I've never sung, hitch-kicking higher than I ever have, sleeping deeper, waking faster, memorizing faster than humanly possible, and running faster than I've ever run.  There are so many times as we rehearse these shows that I just kind of stare in shock at what I am doing, because I know that a week ago I did not have the abilities I do now.  I am a powerful performer and I have an incredible singing voice now!!  I know that when the Lord wants something done, He gets it done.  All I have to do is step out of the way and be willing to work as I am called to work, and it is no longer me performing and singing and dancing and testifying...it is Him.  It is always Him.

The missionaries here are so exceptional.  And I love how the Spirit uses all of us together like a perfectly fashioned Swiss Watch to bless one another as we seek to bless those who come to Nauvoo.  Just two days ago, I was laying on my bed, writing in my journal about an incredible sacred experience I'd had that is to personal to share here.  Directly after I had finished, I wrote the following:

"Thinking about it now, I really feel like I should tell Elder Leavitt about my experience, tonight before he goes to bed.  I don't know why...I still hardly know him.

"But for some reason, I feel like I should just wait here instead.  I...."

That's as far as I got before Elder Leavitt walked into the bedroom (which is not his bedroom) and just laid on one of the beds.  Stunned at such a fast "coincidence," I started talking to him.  I then shared the experience I had just written that I'd felt so strongly to share with him.  Our conversation was so meaningful and powerful... and he told me that, for certain reasons, what I had shared was very personal and thought-provoking for him, and he knew that it was something orchestrated by God.  Just two minutes later, before he left, he said something to me that was a profound answer to a prayer I had been praying even since before I came to Nauvoo.  I didn't tell him that...but I was shocked once again that right after I had opened up to him, right out of his mouth came the word of God to me that I had been seeking.

I know that God is in the very small details of our lives.  He loves us.  And He has a whole host of angels at His command to do His bidding on our behalf.  We are never alone.

I love spending every waking moment working for and testifying of our Savior, Jesus Christ.  There's nothing better on this earth than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment